FREE Virtual Field Trips for Maryland Schools
Through generous grant funding and private foundation support, the Zoo is pleased to offer free virtual field trips for Maryland schools! These 30-minute experiences combine video footage with live presentation to engage students with the Zoo and its inhabitants. Different themes are available, and you are welcome to book more than one Virtual Field Trip during the school year.
- Animal Giants: Learn more about some magnificent giants who share our planet. (Recommended for elementary students)
- Small But Mighty: Learn about how even small animals can have a big impact! (Recommended for elementary students)
- Animal Superpowers: All animals have superpowers! Learn about how some species use their superpowers to survive in their environments. (Recommended for elementary students)
- Protecting Wildlife: Learn about how we can all help protect animals and their habitats. (Recommended for middle school and above)
Please read the sections below carefully before you book your virtual field trip:
Virtual Field Trips are made possible by generous grant and foundation support for Maryland students as part of their regular school day. A minimum class size for this experience is 10 students. The maximum number of students that can participate in a Virtual Field Trip session is 150. For the best experience for your students, including the opportunity to ask questions of their Virtual Field Trip Guide, we recommend limiting the session to one class (around 25 students).
To book your Virtual Field Trip, you will need to know the total number of students, the number of teachers, and the number of IEP-mandated 1:1 assistants who will be participating. You will also be asked to choose a date and start time from those available.
If openings are available, we are happy to reschedule your virtual field trip. After booking, you will receive information on how to contact the Zoo’s Conservation Education & Engagement Department if you need to update your numbers or change your date.
The Zoo typically hosts virtual programming through Zoom. If you are required by your school to use a different platform, the teacher will need to host the session and invite the Zoo’s Virtual Field Trip Guides as visitors/meeting attendees (depending on your platform).
Virtual field trip sessions are available on a first-come, first served basis on the following days and times:
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays – 9:00 am, 10:00 am, 11:00 am, 1:00 pm, 2:00 pm
Please visit our “Book a virtual field trip” page for the most up-to-date availability.
For more detailed information about virtual field trips, check out our Virtual Field Trip FAQs.