If you can’t make it to our Open House please visit us at another location:
- Union Craft Brewery: Thursday, December 20th @ 5:00pm – 9:00pm
Central Pratt Library: Saturday, December 22nd @ 9:15am – 1:45pm
Waverly Farmers Market: Saturday, January 12th @ 7:00am – 12:00pm
Every year, hundreds of volunteers give their time, energy, and enthusiasm to help us accomplish the important work of conserving wildlife and wild places. Volunteers can be found throughout the Zoo, behind the scenes and with our visitors. Whether you’re looking for a day of meaningful service or a lifetime relationship, you can be an important part of our family! The vast majority of our adult volunteers work directly as educators, greeters, animal contact aides, and more.
Selection and training for these positions takes place only in late winter and early spring, in order to get our new classes ready in time for the rush of seasonal visitors. Other positions have deadlines as well, based on school calendars, Zoo needs, or other factors. Please check the opportunity directory for your preferred assignment, or contact us for information about when we might be adding new volunteers in a specific program.
Please note: We do not arrange job shadows. Also, The Maryland Zoo does not offer court-ordered community service.
Benefits of volunteering at the Zoo:
- Free Zoo admission (for active volunteers)
- Free Zoo membership (for higher levels of service)
- Discount on purchases in Zoo gift shops
- Volunteer newsletter with wildlife news and Maryland Zoo happenings
- Invitations to Zoo Volunteer recognition events, field trips, and lectures
- Friendly and outgoing
- Genuine interest in conservation of wildlife and wild places
- Ready to make and fulfill a regular hours commitment
- At least 18 years of age (for most positions) or 14-17 for Zoo Crew
Questions? Contact the Volunteer Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 443-552-5266. Interested in a Zoo career? Click here.