Group Work is Great Work
Bring your herd out to help the Zoo by completing projects our staff could never tackle alone! Most groups work alongside our Horticulture Department who are responsible for the care and maintenance of the 130 acres the Zoo sits upon. Volunteers assist with weeding, planting, pruning, raking, removal of invasive plant species, and much more. We welcome groups of 3 – 10 from businesses, schools, places of worship, scout troops, community associations, and more. All participants must be 14 years old or older. Group service projects are scheduled for a one-time shift of 9:00 am – 12:00 pm during weekdays only (sorry, no weekend dates are available). On-the-job training and all equipment is provided.
Group projects will restart in mid-April. Please complete the interest form below if you would like to be contacted about scheduling a project.
Group Project Summary
- We ask that the limit of participants be capped at 10 participants and all participants must be 14 years old or older.
- Groups will be scheduled for a one-time shift from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm on a weekday (Monday – Friday with a preference for Tuesday – Thursday).
- Group service projects mostly work with our Horticulture Department who are responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the 80 plus acres the Zoo sits upon.
- Volunteers help the Zoo with pruning, weeding, removal of invasive plant species, raking, picking up garbage, digging, planting, and much more.
- The areas that group service volunteers go into are guest areas, behind-the-scenes areas, and exhibits (no animals are present and there is no contact).
- After the project is complete volunteers are given free admission to the Zoo (March – December) for that day and will also receive a 40% discount at the Zoo’s main eating venue, Whistle Stop, located in Zoo Central.
- We take up to three-five groups per month, please contact the volunteer office to see current availability.
- All service dates are subject to weather. It is always a good idea to offer a back up date in case of cancellation due to inclement weather.
- Please note that any service date scheduled in January or February will not have access to the Zoo after the completion of the project due to the Zoo’s winter schedule.
Group Project Interest Form
Please help us get the ball rolling by completing our group project interest form below and someone will contact you as soon as possible.
Questions? Please contact the Volunteer Office at email@example.com or call 443-552-5266.