Zoo Teen Volunteer Program
The Maryland Zoo’s Zoo Teen Program is an exciting way for high school students ages 14-17 to learn about zoos and conservation, explore career opportunities, gain leadership skills, earn service learning hours, meet lifelong friends, and so much more. Participants will receive comprehensive training from Zoo staff, a uniform, and a badge. We will also offer exciting opportunities for professional and personal development.
We are seeking responsible, reliable, consistent, and enthusiastic teens interested in learning about animals, conservation, assisting and engaging guests, and making a difference.
All teen volunteers will start as Zoo Guides. Zoo Guides ensure that a Zoo visit starts on a pleasant, comfortable, and informative note by answering general questions about the Zoo in a helpful and enthusiastic manner, and by pointing out all the great exhibits, events, and programs available. After successfully completing summer volunteer requirements as a Zoo Guide, Zoo Teens may choose the volunteer track that they would like to participate in. This is a year-round volunteer program.
- Guest Engagement and Education: Volunteers will start as a Zoo Guide (directional support, answer guest amenity questions, enhance the guest experience) and then have the opportunity to learn about animals, help educate the public about conservation and wildlife, and support our guests.
- Conservation and Research: Volunteers will start as a Zoo Guide (directional support, answer guest amenity questions, enhance the guest experience) and then have the opportunity to learn about the Maryland Zoo’s conservation efforts and support special initiatives and research projects.
Zoo Teen Program Requirements
- Submit a completed application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Attend a group interview and be accepted into the program.
- Complete a 1-week training Boot Camp, Monday – Friday 9:00am – 4:00pm (there are two sessions)
- Meet a monthly requirement of 4 shifts each month for at least one year (shifts will be scheduled – same days each month)
- Volunteer at least one shift at Breakfast with Bunny, Bunny BonanZOO, Zoo Bop, Zoo BOO!, or a Santa Breakfast.
- Attend at least 3 conservation service projects.
- Attend end of summer off-site conservation field trip project (available to those who meet volunteer requirements)
- Effectively communicate (absences, lateness etc.)
- January 31: Zoo Teen Program Application Opens
- April 14: Zoo Teen Program Application Closes
- May 6, 7, 13, 21: Interview Dates
- May 30: Selections Made
- June 19 – 23: Zoo Teen Volunteer Boot Camp Session 1 (9:00am – 4:00pm daily)
- June 26 – 30: Zoo Teen Volunteer Boot Camp Session 2 (9:00am – 4:00pm daily)
Questions? Please contact the Volunteer Office at email@example.com or call 443-552-5266.