Applications for the 2020 Zoo Teen volunteer program have now closed.
Zoo Teen Volunteer Program
The Maryland Zoo’s teen volunteers are passionate about the environment, conservation, and animals. Zoo Teens have the opportunity to volunteer as educators, Conservation Crew members, directional guides and more! Volunteers begin on one of the following two tracks:
Volunteers on the Guest Track will start off as Zoo Guides providing directional support and services to Zoo visitors. From there, volunteers may have the opportunity to advance into education and/or event support positions depending on availability and skill set.
Volunteers on the Conservation Track will be trained to support one to two of our three conservation teams:
- Research: Our current primary research assignment is monitoring Eastern box turtles in Druid Hill Park. Volunteers on this team will help Zoo staff with other research projects as they arise.
- Sustainability: Volunteers on this team manage the Zoo’s vegetable garden and compost system. They also facilitate and promote green initiatives and events at the Zoo.
- Education: Conservation educators support the Zoo’s “Wild About Animals” days, Citizen Science programs, and other public programs.
Requirements for Zoo Teen volunteers:
- 14-17 years old (by June) and entering 8th-12th grade in fall.
- Available to attend a 3-day mandatory training session at the start of the summer.
- Available to volunteer six to eight hours per month, year-round
- A teen-owned email address (not a parent’s)
- Ability to work on a team and independently
- Willingness to work in all weather conditions
- A passion for wildlife and wild places!
Please be advised that we no longer offer summer-only volunteer opportunities. Also, note that animal contact positions are extremely limited and open only to Zoo Teens who have volunteered with us for one year or more.
Questions? Please contact the Volunteer Office at email@example.com or call 443-552-5266. You can contact our Zoo Teen Leaders directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.