Special experience for middle schoolers and high schoolers!
Keeper-in-Training gives the ultimate insider perspective as teens learn firsthand what it takes to meet the needs of the Zoo’s animals. This program is for children entering grades 7 – 12 in the fall of 2022.
This program is sold out!
Wednesday, July 6th – Friday, July 8th*
*Please note: Keeper-in-Training is a three-day experience
Keeper-in-Training runs from 9:00 am to 3:00 pm, Wednesday through Friday
Keeper-in-Training activities may* include:
- Shadowing keepers at Zoo exhibits in daily activities such as cleaning and setting out enrichment
- Preparing diets and food enrichment at the Commissary
- Interacting with animal experts
- Touring Zoo grounds
- Carrying out animal behavior observations
- Learning how the Zoo uses training as a tool to care for the animals
- Learning ways we can all help to protect wildlife and wild places!
*Due to animal and keeper needs, activities are subject to change without notice.
- Member: $365*
- Non-member: $430
This program is sold out!
Did you know that Zoo members save on Summer Programs? Learn more about becoming a member of the Maryland Zoo!
*Zoo membership must be current at both the time of registration and during Camp. Please note: the Summer Camp membership discount can be received only by those who have a Companion level membership or above. The camper must reside in the same household as the membership holder.
NOTE: Because significant portions of the Keeper-in-Training program take place with keepers in non-public areas, participants must be able to do the following:
- Work both independently and in small teams to complete a task
- Follow multi-step directions without repeated prompting
- Tolerate exposure to strong smells, loud or sudden noises, hot and humid conditions, tightly enclosed areas, and potential allergens (nuts, hay, fur, feathers)
What does my child need to bring with them for the Keeper-in-Training Program?
- Rubber boots (required)
- Refillable water bottle
- Sunscreen (recommended)
- Hat (recommended)
- Medications (where applicable)
- Rain gear—dress for the weather!
Cancellation/Change Policy: A $50 non-refundable processing fee applies for any requested changes made to, or cancellation of, any confirmed registration. Cancellations received at least two weeks (10 business days) prior to the start of a Camp date will receive a full refund, minus the $50 processing fee. Refunds will not be issued for cancellations received fewer than 10 business days prior to the Camp start date or for any missed days of Camp. In the event the Zoo cancels a program, a full refund will be issued.
Questions? Feel free to contact the Education Team at email@example.com.