Special experience for middle schoolers and high schoolers!
Keeper-in-Training gives the ultimate insider perspective as teens learn firsthand what it takes to meet the needs of the Zoo’s animals.
REGISTRATION FOR 2020 SUMMER PROGRAMS IS NOW AVAILABLE FOR ZOO MEMBERS!
Registration for non-members opens on March 1, 2020. Note that Keeper-in-Training is a three-day experience. Participants must be registered for the correct session based on the grade they will be entering in the fall.
Keeper-in-Training runs from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm, Wednesday through Friday.
Keeper-in-Training activities may* include:
- Shadowing keepers at Zoo exhibits in daily activities such as cleaning and setting out enrichment
- Preparing diets and food enrichment
- Interacting with animal experts
- Touring Zoo grounds
- Carrying out animal behavior observations
- Learning how the Zoo uses training as a tool to care for the animals
*Due to animal and keeper needs, activities are subject to change without notice.
- Member: $345*
- Non-member: $410
SEE “KEEPER-IN-TRAINING SESSIONS” BELOW TO REGISTER.
Zoo members, to receive your ticket discount you must first register on the Zoo’s online store. Click below to register. Once you do, you’ll automatically receive your discounts at checkout.
Did you know that Zoo members save on Summer Programs? To learn more about becoming a member of The Maryland Zoo, click here!
*Zoo membership must be current at both the time of registration and during Camp.
NOTE: Because significant portions of the Keeper-in-Training program take place with keepers in non-public areas, participants must be able to do the following:
- Work both independently and in small teams to complete a task
- Follow multi-step directions without repeated prompting
- Tolerate exposure to strong smells, loud or sudden noises, hot and humid conditions, tightly enclosed areas, and potential allergens (nuts, hay, fur, feathers)
Middle School (grades 7-9)
Session Date: July 29–31, 2020
Middle School (grades 7-9)
Session Date: August 12–14, 2020
High School (grades 10-12)
Session Date: August 5–7, 2020
Cancellation/Change Policy: A $50 non-refundable processing fee applies for any requested changes made to, or cancellation of, any confirmed registration. Cancellations received at least two weeks (10 business days) prior to the start of a Camp date will receive a full refund, minus the $50 processing fee. Refunds will not be issued for cancellations received fewer than 10 business days prior to the Camp start date or for any missed days of Camp. In the event the Zoo cancels a program, a full refund will be issued. If you have additional questions, feel free to contact the Education Department at Camp@marylandzoo.org.