Take part in an exclusive one-of-a-kind experience with the Maryland Zoo’s Jones Falls Zephyr Train ride. This 45-minute guided program will take you behind the scenes of this popular attraction where you will work alongside our Jones Falls Zephyr Train Engineer to learn what goes into running the train. You will also be officially recognized as our Engineer of the Day and receive a commemorative certificate as well as whistle-blowing privileges!
- Daily, 9:30 am (April – October)
- Booking must be made at least one month in advance
- 45 minutes
- One engineer and one guest
PRICE & RESERVATIONS
Adults and children ages 5 & over:
(Children under 5 years of age are NOT permitted for this program)
- $89 for Zoo Members
- $99 for Non-members (includes same-day Zoo admission)
- Same-day Zoo admission for engineer and one guest plus unlimited rides (ZooMORE)
- Additional guests may be added for the cost of general admission or ZooMORE ticket
- The opportunity to work alongside the Jones Falls Zephyr Train Engineer as they conduct safety checks and morning maintenance
- Train whistle-blowing privileges for the morning’s first departure
- Announcement of name over the PA system as Engineer for a Day
- An engineer’s cap and bandana
- A certificate as a reminder of your special day
If you’d like to book a Train Engineer For a Day experience or are just interested in learning more, please fill out the form below and a Zoo representative will be in touch as soon as possible! Experiences must be booked at least one month in advance of the requested program date.
Important Guidelines & Information:
- There can only be one engineer per program and only one program per day. Children must be at least 5 years old to participate in this program, and those under 16 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
- Program is weather and staff dependent. The Zoo reserves the right to cancel the program or end the program for any reason, including guest behavior.
- Once purchased, Engineer for a Day tickets cannot be returned or refunded. Reservations may be changed up to 72 hours before the scheduled program and are subject to a $15 Administrative Change Fee. Changes are not permitted within 72 hours of scheduled program. Contact us at email@example.com or call 443-992-4585.
- The cost of the program cannot be used towards a Zoo membership and no other discounts apply.
- Engineer for a Day (rider) will ride in the engineer seat with a Jones Falls Zephyr Train Engineer and have train whistle-blowing privileges only. Engineer for a Day (rider) will not be allowed to drive the train.
- Engineer for a Day (rider) should be in good health to ride.
- Engineer for a Day (rider) must be able to maintain proper riding position and appropriately utilize the seatbelt on the engineer seat.
- Engineer for a Day (rider) must be able to step up into the ride or be assisted into the ride by a responsible adult.
- Engineer for a Day (rider) must be able to remain sitting up straight, keeping their head upright during the duration of the train ride and arms, legs, and feet inside the train at all times.
- Engineer for a Day (rider) has a duty to exercise good judgment and act in a responsible manner while participating on the Engineer for a Day program and to follow all verbal and written instructions.
- The train engineer seat is not designed for accessibility to a service animal. Therefore, a member of your party must be available to stay with the service animal while the engineer rides with the Jones Falls Zephyr Train Engineer.
- The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore reserves the right to make the final determination regarding eligibility of a guest to ride based on the guest’s size, weight (limit 340 lbs), height, or other safety limitations.
The Train Engineer for a Day experience makes a great gift! See a herd of wild Zoo gift ideas.
QUESTIONS? Email our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.