If you’re coming to visit our new chimp baby, Lola, born on July 5th, she will be in the Chimp Forest dayroom with her mother, Bunny. Currently, she is periodically on exhibit in the mornings until the early afternoon.
There are currently no events scheduled for this series.
This day is a real treat, and we don’t just mean for the human visitors. See some of your favorite animals get special treats and toys and learn all about the Zoo’s animal enrichment program. Be sure to bring a good camera as this is a guaranteed opportunity to see animals at their most active times. We hope you can join us!
Schedule of Enrichment:
- 10:00 – 12:00 – Tortoises/Rabbits at Creature Encounters Enrichment
- 10:30 – Lion Enrichment
- 11:00 – Otter/Bobcat Enrichment
- 12:00 – Decorated Bags (from kids) to Goats
- 1:00 – Bears Enrichment
- 1:30 – Leopard Enrichment
- 1:45 – Porcupine Enrichment
- 2:00 – Kunekune Pig Training
- 2:30 – Chimp Training
- 3:00 – Farmyard Enrichment
- Get hands-on! This is your opportunity to learn how special animal enrichment is made and craft actual enrichment items that will be given to animals at the Zoo! Join our dedicated team of enrichment volunteers in the Penguin Education Center.
What is Enrichment?
Animal Enrichment is any item or activity designed to stimulate an animal’s instincts and encourage natural behaviors. Enrichment is specifically developed for each species by a team of behavioral specialists. These activities and objects enhance the care keepers provide the animals, by adding variety to their daily routines and ensuring each animal is both physically and mentally stimulated.
On Enrichment Days, keepers give the animals special enrichment treats made by Zoo volunteers, but you can give enrichment any day! Donate an enrichment item from the Zoo’s enrichment wish list.