Join us for special Animal Adventures at the Zoo! These drop-in educational programs are FREE with paid admission and open to all ages. Through games, puppet shows, activities, and crafts, participants will learn about the husbandry, behavior, adaptations, and ecology of different animals. Activities take 15-20 minutes to complete. Locations vary so look on the Creature Encounter Chalkboard and listen for shuttle announcements for locations and show times on day of visit. Programs are scheduled between 10:00am and 2:00pm Tuesdays - Fridays from July 1st through October 3rd 2014.
Upcoming Animal Adventures:
- Layers of the Rain Forest (July 22-25)—Top to bottom, ground to sky, each rainforest layer hosts its own distinct animal community. Come learn about the different habitat zones and why some animals stay put and others move from layer to layer.
- Birds of Prey (July 29-August 1)—Wings, talons, and beaks, OH MY! Learn about some of the amazing birds of prey here at The Zoo and in the wild.
- Big Cat (August 5-8)—Here, Kitty Kitty! Come learn why big cats make bad pets and how lions, leopards and cheetahs hunt, socialize, and survive in the wild.
- Amphibians (August 12-15)—Frogs, newts, and salamanders are different in a lot of ways, but they have also some things in common! Join us in taking a closer look at our amphibian friends!
- Primate (August 19-22)—Learn how different types of primates eat, sleep, and play here in the Zoo and out in the wild.
- No Animal Adventures (August 26-29)
- Invertebrates (September 2-5) — Invertebrates are the most abundant creatures on earth – making up 99% of the earth’s animal species. The only thing they all have in common is what they lack: a backbone!
- Migratory Birds (September 9-12) — Where do migratory birds go and what drives them to leave their northern breeding grounds? Learn the answers to these and other questions about the amazing natural phenomenon that is bird migration.
- African Giants (September 16-19)—There are giants among us at The Maryland Zoo! Learn about elephants, rhinoceroses, and giraffes – our magnificent African giants!
- Big and Muddy (September 23-26)—What’s wet and dirty and highly beneficial? MUD! Come learn about all the different things mud does for animals out in the wild and here in our Zoo!
- Animal Enrichment (September 30- October 3)—Keepers at The Maryland Zoo spend a lot of time thinking of ways to keep all our animals interested and entertained. Come and learn about the special treats and training provided to our animals every day!