Let everyone see your penguin knowledge! The Zoo is nearing completion on a brand new African Penguin Exhibit scheduled to open in fall of 2014. This exciting new habitat will be home to one of North America’s largest breeding colonies of African penguins. As part of the new exhibit, we’re giving you the chance to help share your passion for penguins in a special Zoo video contest. Winning videos will be featured in the new indoor exhibit space!
Enter your videos between now and May 15, 2014. The contest is open to all students in grades K-12. Submissions will be entered in one of two categories: Elementary (K –5) and Middle/High (6–12). Students can submit individually or as a group. Read below for all the important contest details and submission guidelines. For complete official contest rules click here.
The goal of the video is to help Zoo guests learn about African black-footed penguins. Each video should be 60–120 seconds (1–2 minutes) long and focus on conservation issues and/or species natural history. They can feature live people, stills, animation—whatever best demonstrates the concept and ideas. Videos should be creative, compelling, and fact-based.
All submissions must be received by May 15, 2014. Videos will be judged by the Zoo’s media, public relations and education professionals for grade-level considerations, creativity, accuracy, and overall quality. A written release is required from participants, both on-screen and those involved with production.
The winning video will be featured at the Zoo’s new African Black-Footed Penguin Exhibit, scheduled to open in fall of 2014.
- Be sure to complete a Penguin Video Contest entry form.
- Make sure all students, teachers or advisors have signed a release form and include all releases with your submission.
- Videos should be submitted electronically on a DVD-R or USB drive. Discs and drives will not be returned to entrants. Recommended files for final videos include mpg, mp4, mov, avi, wav files. There is no limit to video size.
- Mail or drop off submissions, completed entry forms and signed releases to: Penguin Video Contest, Maryland Zoo Education Department, 1876 Mansion House Drive, Baltimore, MD 21217. Entries should be delivered or postmarked by Thursday, May 15, 2014. Entries received after the deadline date will not be considered.
- One winning submission will be selected in each of two age-groups categories: Elementary and Middle/High School. Elementary submissions will be for grades K-5. Middle/High School submissions will be for grades 6-12.
- Video submissions in each category will be judged by media and public relations professionals as well as education department staff at The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore.
- Video submissions will be judged on content, creativity, factual accuracy, and production quality with consideration given to grade level of individual or group submitting.
- Video entries will be judged sometime after May 15, 2014, and winners will be announced no later than September of 2014.
- Winners will be invited to view their work at the new African Penguin Exhibit when it opens in fall of 2014. Each winner will be given one opportunity for free admission to view the work with up to six (6) additional guests to include family, friends, or school teachers and/or advisors.
- Winners will be notified by telephone and/or email.
Click to download Official Entry Form
Click to download Video Release